Translate

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Psycho

This interview with CHARLIE INFECTION took place May 2009. The pics are from www.returntothepit.com. We were very drunk and messed up a few of the questions. Charlie was cool  enough to fix our mistakes. I wish I would have asked about the Selfmadegod release "The Grind Years" and how it came about. Anyone who knows me, knows I have been a huge Psycho fan since the early 90's. I was also a huge Ax/ction Records collector and hunted down and bought anything they put in their distro advertisements in MRR.
B: Psycho started out as a more traditional punk rock band, that later moved on to play hardcore and even grindcore/evil thrash. Most bands do the exact opposite. They start off playing hardcore and move to a more acceptable or commercial sound with each release. What drove Psycho to keep getting heavier and faster?
Charlie: It just felt like the right thing to do !! We kept pushing ourselves to play harder and faster. And you see the results !!

B: What happened in 1994 to cause the band to split?
Charlie: It was a personal thing between ALL the members !! We just couldn't work together any more….

B: What caused the original line-up to regroup in 2003? What happened to cause that line-up to split and the classic line-up of Johnny, Charlie & Lynch to also reform?
Charlie : I think Johnny wanted to just keep playing out and he was in touch with Mick (original singer) and Denny (original drummer) so that line up happened again for a short time…I was not involved so I am not sure what was the cause of the break up …. And for the 2nd part of your question … Me and Johnny had not seen or heard from Ed in quite a while ..then I started talking to him again and eventually we all decided to give it another try !! It was my favorite line up and I was well into jamming again ..!!

B: What cause the band to bring Cody in on vocals instead of staying a 3 piece? How will this change the sound?
Charlie: we were kicking ass live and it was getting a bit chaotic to say the least ! we just thought it would let us play our instruments better if we didn’t have to worry about doing the Vocals !! And we have known Cody for a long time now and he fits in just like he was there all along !! I dont think it will have too much of a change .. His voice isn’t that different from ours . Cody sings ..he doesn’t growl !

B: How often does the band get together and practice?
Charlie : we usually get together only one time per week.. unless we have an up coming gig or if we are working on new tunes..we may get together maybe twice a week .

B: Is Psycho back together for good or is this just another reunion?
Charlie : We got back together in 2005 and haven’t stopped yet !! I think we are back and its not just a lame reunion just for the money !! ha ha what money Ha ha ????

B: Can we look forward to new Psycho material? What direction is band moving in?
Charlie: We are working on some new stuff ..and we have 6 new tunes so far ! we need another 10 more for a full cd We do have 2 brand new tunes coming out on a compilation Cd called DC-JAM-SKATE ROCK VOLUME 1 (also have Dwarves/ Gov’t Issue/ JFA / Mc Rad etc.. ) should be out in April ..We are planning on recording our new stuff up at Joe from the Queers new studio ..hopefully this summer .We have know him for ages and I think it will be great to work with him !! We are continuing in the same style as we were doing with ED.. (fast punk/ thrash)

B: Any chance of the band playing outside Boston. What are the shows like? Do you get a lot of young people, older punks and metal heads or is it a mixed crowd?
Charlie: We do play mostly in Boston but we have played in Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire and New York so far ..Some are really great …some are smaller shows .. all are a fun time to play !! it’s always a mix of people for us .. some punks some metal heads..the older crowd and some younger kids who may have just heard us for the first time !!

B: Psycho has did a lot of splits, and they are always with the most extreme bands on the planet (A.C., Agathocles, meatshits, Nasum, Rot and now BLOOD!) how did these come about, did you pick the bands, are they bands you think or thought at the time are or were making important and influential music? Is there any other bands you would like to see Psycho do a split with maybe Cripple Bastard or Macabre? When was the Psycho material for the Blood split recorded?
Charlie: We did splits with bands we knew and liked !! we thought each one would make a great split ep We always picked the bands we wanted to do splits with..And they were all on our AX/CTION RECORDS label. I personally wouldn't mind doing a split with Macabre !! they kick ass !! Would have loved to do a split with the PLASMATICS too !! I think we recorded the material for the Blood split late 1994.

B: Do you listen to any newer music any bands you think are important or influential?
Charlie: right now I am listening to the latest Angel Corpse and Cemetery Urn from Australia . Both are pretty ripping .. Check out Witch Tomb too ! Cody plays bass in Witch Tomb.

B: Can you tell me about the GG Allen connection to Psycho? Is Bulge still active?
Charlie: I met G.G.Allin at a show he played with GBH back in 1985 or 1986. And I was doing a radio show and he gave me some Lps to play on my show ..we Aways kept in touch after that … He needed a band to do his “Freaks Fags Drunks and Junkie” Lp and I suggested Bulge . He didn’t know I was in the band .. he just knew we were sleazy so he agreed and It ended up really being PSYCHO (Johnny ,Ed and Me) and the rest is history !!
Bulge continued playing after the G.G. Lp and eventually broke up.. Bulge released a few demos and their big 10 inch record “Penis Rising” and a 7” “Legions of anal Doom”.

B: What are some of the other project Psycho members are involved in? What is the Goat Thrower &
Gunkulator connection to Psycho? Are you guys all big black metal fans?
Charlie: we have done JESUS CHRUST and also Me and Johnny did GOAT THROWER.. Ed played in the GROINOIDS a while back.. and Cody plays bass in Witch Tomb. Goat Thrower is Johnny’s side project and Gonkulator is my side project !! Me , Johnny and Cody like Black Metal a lot !! Ed is mostly into Punk and Rock like Iron Maiden or B.O.C and Judas Priest. He likes Sodom a lot too !


B: Is Ax/ction records still active? What is the Ax/ction Records /Fudgeworthy records 
connection to the band or members? What is the best way to get Psycho merch?
Charlie: Well Ax/ction was kinda in limbo for a while .. and we revived it with the PSYCHO CD / DVD
(1986-199 ) Johnny Started Ax/ction Recs along with old Bassist Bill..Bill left and I weasled my way in with Johnny.. We ran Ax/ction Recs together for quite a while.. when Psycho broke up in 1994 .. I kinda left Ax/ction for a while and Started Fudgeworthy Records and Infection Distro. When Psycho got back together we got back to doing Ax/ction together again. Get all Psycho merch from us directly at :
Ax/ction Records
Po Box 425623 Kendall Square
Cambridge,Mass.02142 USA
Just ask for my latest catalog of records, Cds , DVDs eps t-shirts cassettes etc..

B: How many Venom shirts does Johnny own?
Charlie: I think he’s got like 3 or 4 venom shirts !! Venom rules !!

B: Were or are any of the band members NME fans?
Charlie: I don’t know what NME is ???
Cody: Had to jump in here and say I’m an NME fan. Excellent, very brutal band!

B: Have any labels contacted the band about a Psycho tribute CD/record? Influencing both punk and metal bands, it would make for a interesting tribute with a big variety of bands. I know a band that does a great version of Psycho 4 & Friend of The Family.
Charlie: NO , no one has asked us that !! I would be flattered if someone did!! Ha ha ..I don’t expect that to happen .. Who did we influence ?? ha ahha.. I would like to hear those cover versions of our tunes .. would be cool..

B: Any last words?
Charlie: Get in touch with us at … www.myspace.com/psychoboston And keep the underground alive !! Support the scene ! etc etc keep it extreme !
Thanks for the interview..



No comments:

Post a Comment