Translate

Friday, October 26, 2012

FASTDIE RECORDS


I first heard of FASTDIE RECORDS (a DIY Malaysian label) when I was searching the net for Agathocles releases I may have missed and I came across the Ag/Hatred Division split on FxDxRx. I looked up a few of their bands on youtube and was completely blown away by Shitnoise Bastards (raw oldschool grind/noise) and Diseksa (old school grind). So I contacted Fastdie Records and placed a order. I got the Ag/ Hatred Division split, the Diseksa/Gripe  split, the Diseksa/Terlarang split and the Shitnoise Bastards demo cdr. All were excellent! The following is a interview done with Hazree half of FastDie records and the drummer for Shitnoise Bastards, Diseksa and Hatred Division.

When and why did you decide to start Fastdie Rec?
A: FASTDIE RECORDS officially started in 2007. Before that I ran the ITCHFLESH RECORDS. Under ITCHFLESH RECORDS I just made one release only DISLOCATED CEREBRUM (malaysia death metal) demo cd-r in 2005. After that I quit, then I start FASTDIE RECORDS with my partner Oggy from TERLARANG (mal thrash/grind). For the early days we only planned to make our local band release, then we started with TERLARANG demo cd-r 2008 and then DISEKSA demo cd-r 2008. This is FASTDIE RECORDS first  two releases. Then in time, by time FASTDIE RECORDS has made release involved the bands from worldwide.

Did it cost much to start the label? Did you receive any financial aid from the government?
A: Yes we realize money is always the big problem when running label and distro. That's why when we started we were only able to make cd-r releases, because I am very poor (still poor till now). Then I slowly, step by steps collect the finances. Then I made pro cd releases, protape releases and starting this year we join the co-release project to release 7' releases. It's hard to keep your finances stable when your doing a label and distro. But for me, I'm not looking to make any high profit with my label. This is my passion and  am interested for sure to put bands stuff (mostly all my friends band). It shit, no co-operated with the government and our government is totally corrupted.
 

Is the label strictly grindcore/powerviolence or do plan on working with other forms of music?
A: FASTDIE RECORDS is not strictly for grind/PV stuff only, we also released some thrashpunk, hardcorepunk, thrashcore, bands too. But we are more interested to make release for grindcore bands, but our distro has got everything from punk-rock, hardcore, death/black metal, heavy metal, thrash, crust/d-beat, to grind/noise. Yes till now we always looking forward to make more release including for old school death metal bands too. But maybe FASTDIE RECORDS is not seen as very 'metal' thats why we have got no interest from any metal bands from our local also from international. But we just not interested to any death/metalcore. Cause it's shit.
 

You play in Hatred Division, Diseksa, and Shitnoise Bastards are they all still active and can you tell me a little about each?
A: Yes I'm the drummer for these three bands for the moment. DISEKSA (mal crust raw grind) started in 2008. Got many changing line ups till today, but the band is still active. Diseksa has got a few previous split release in tape and cd-r format, plus in very near time soon we will release the 1st 7' split with NEON HOLE (u.s grind/doom/metal) also split 7' with our local well-known grind master SMG, and not to forget to mention Diseksa also will be release a split tape with the very best mincecore pioneer and legend AGATHOCLES.
2nd band is HATRED DIVISION (mal raw grind hyper speed shit). This is a project bands that features band members from SMG, DISEKSA and HELLTERROR (mal grindcore). This band was formed in early 2011, and till now has already got one demo tape and three split releases with AGATHOCLES, GORGONIZED DORKS (u.s noisecore) & UNHOLY GRAVE (jpn grind godz) split 7'. Many more upcoming split release will be out soon.

The 3rd band is SHITNOISE BASTARDS (mal raw grind/noise shithead).also project band feat band members from DISEKSA, MAGNITIZDAT (mal grind/metal) & ANAK ROSAK (mal thrashpunk RIP). This bands was formed in early 2012. We already have one demo cd-r and tape, Two split cd-r releases with BONEACHE (brasil pathology grind/noise) & JEFFREY DAHMER (indonesia raw grind). Recent projects in working now are a split tape with Malaysia noisecore/grind legend DOSA will be release very near time soon,  plus split tape with U.S old school death metal/sludge/grind THE PATH,  and we have got other upcoming split tape with CRUTCH (u.s PV/grind) and CORRUPT HUMANITY (Scotland crust raw grind). Its very easy to, enjoy to play in bands when all the line up is the close and best friends. We are having fun and really enjoy our session with the bands. If you guys have a time, do check these three bands. We need more exposure from U.S. and Europe grindcore scenes.
How is the Malaysian scene? How big is it?  Do you get much support locally? Is it a mix of both punk and metal fans?
A: The truth is I'm not the scenester. I do not go to gig everyweek, sometimes I went to gig three times in three months. But i can still tell you a little bit about the scene here.. DIY community here is doing good for sure. They always organized small gig every week, doing food not bombs, and other activities. We got many of crust/d-beat/punk/hardcore/thrash/ here, but  have got few grind bands. Maybe you has heard some of these grind band from Malaysia such as SMG (our local grind master with tons of releases), DOSA (old school noisegrind), PSYCHOTIC SUFFERANCE (noisegrind), MASS SEPERATION (crustgrind), TORTURE INCIDENT (raw grind RIP), TERLARANG (thrash/grind) just list few. Two years ago I  released a compilation tape featuring 15 grindcore bands from Malaysia, and I plan to put out vol.2 soon. We have many fanzines here. Also got the old fanzine that still exist till today too. Also got the #1 issue then gone too. I'm not doing any fanzine, because I think I'm not talented in fanzine making and writing. It needs high committment to complete. But I really enjoy reading the old days fanzines with the typewriter writing. Its very cool for me. Glad I still keep the old fanzine in my safety box. haha. 

Yeah sometime we got the mix of punk, metal, and grindcore gigs here. But metal scene here, they can't accept and they don't want to join with the d.i.y hardcore punk scene. They a lot of ego with their music, fashion and ethic. But not all metal bands here are with this attitude, we still got some good and friendly black/death metal bands who plays gigs with grind, crust, punk bands here.We just have our gap with 'true' metal bands/veterans cause they said d.i.y hardcore punk scene is bullshit.
 

Is it easy to put together shows? Do you have venues? Do you have problems with the authority when it comes to shows?
A: Here it is easy to set small shows, but we just don't have many places and venues. We have the very well-known d.i.y HCpunk venus called RUMAH API here. This is the regular venue for the d.i.y hcpunk shows. Plus many bands came touring to S.E.Asia and have played here. Yes, we don't have many places/venues to set up shows here and this causes the problem with the authority. Some times they come and raid the shows and ask us to close. So that's why we just set up the small show here. Small shows but its still good shows for sure.
 

Have you toured outside Malaysia? Do you get a lot of support from other countries?  Do you get a lot of support via Internet?
A: I'm still not doing any tours outside Malaysia and also tour in Malaysia cause my working time is not giving me a chance to do the tour haha(fuck).
Yes I'm very glad and lucky because we have got the good feedback and support from Europe and U.S. labels and friends. They are really interested and they really want to help. I feels very happy and am very appreciated to them. Because Malaysia is just the small country, I'm sure many people in Europe,and the U.S. have never heard about Malaysia. Luckly we got the internet nowdays, so I can make and keep contact with all friends from worlwide. Yes I have really got great support from the internet, specially when they contact me about to buying the FASTDIE RECORDS stuff. This is great when the small label from small country get the support worldwide. this encourages me to put out more releases in future.
 

Do you get a lot of outside tours band from other countries touring Malaysia?
A: Yes we have got many bands from Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, U.S, and Europe who have did S.E Asia tours and came to play in Malaysia. The kids here are very supportive, mosh hard for sure. haha. Also we get a lot of death metal bands who come to play in Malaysia such as WARBRINGER, NAPALM DEATH, DYING FETUS, HATE ETERNAL and more, just list few only.
 

What are some of the Malaysian bands, you would recommend? 
A: I will suggest to you grind/PV bands only cause i involved more into grindcore scene. We
got many good bands from Malaysia you can check out GYMNASTIC SKULL WHISTLING (mal PV/grind), COMPULSION TO KILL (mal grindviolence), TERLARANG(mal thrash/grind), DEFORMING TORTURE (mal sickfast grindcore), SMG, PSYCHOTIC SUFFERANCE (mal noise/grind), ROTGUT (mal goregrind). Just listed a few only, but for sure we still got more good bands from here.
 

What can we look for to in the future from Fastdie?
A: We got many upcoming release from FxDxR  soon. Mostly all releases are involved the FASTDIE RECORDS bands such as DISEKSA/SMG split 7', DISEKSA/AGATHOCLES split tape, SHITNOISE BASTARDS/THE PATH split tape, SHITNOISE BASTARDS/DOSA split tape, HATRED DIVISION/GYMNASTIC SKULL WHISTLING split tape and many more. For all who want to know about the recent release, new release, upcoming release and distro items updated can check directly to fastdie records blogspot : http://fastdierecords.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment